You want to keep your family and pets safe at all times. Although you may think your home is free from hazards, by conducting a home audit, you may be surprised to find that some things could put your safety at risk. Here are some tips to keep your home as safe as possible.
Kitchens and Bathrooms
Kitchens and bathrooms are one of the top places where accidents can happen — and if you have small children, you want to keep these rooms hazard free. Keeping your kitchen and bathroom floors clean and clear of wet spots can help prevent slips and falls. If you have a gas stove, ensure that it’s turned off to prevent leaks.
Electrical and Wiring
One of the top ways to get injured in the home is from electrical hazards. Doing the following can prevent a severe injury:
- Don’t plug in electrical appliances near areas of water such as faucets.
- Ensure all electrical outlets are installed at a safe distance away from showers, bathtubs, and sinks.
- Install GFCI outlets to prevent electrical shocks.
- Avoid using extension cords in the bathroom.
- Install child-proof outlets.
Your Outdoor Space
Keeping your outdoor space safe is just as important as indoors. Be sure to:
- Install motion detectors – motion detectors can provide safety in preventing trips and falls at night as well as a deterrent for burglars.
- Install alarm systems around the pool area
- Keep your barbecue away from shrubs and trees and at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Carbon Monoxide Safety
- Just a simple installation of a carbon monoxide detector can save lives. There are many different options on the market, and carbon monoxide detectors are very affordable.
- Outdoor electrical hazards can cause injury too. Be sure to check your outdoor electrical system to ensure there are no frayed wires or other problems.
Whether you need a home security system or an electrical upgrade to keep your home safe, we can help! Call or schedule an appointment online with us today! Our seasoned technicians will be happy to help you!