The Holiday Season is finally gone, but the cold weather of winter is nowhere near done.
When your furnace is working overtime, you need to give it some TLC and keep an eye out for problems. This furnace checklist will help keep you warm and snug until spring!
Reason Why Your Furnace May Not Be Working Properly
- If your furnace is not working as efficiently as it was last year, there are a few things that might be going on.
- Clogged filter – Your furnace needs a clean flow of air to work properly.
- Loose fan belt – It may be cracking or the fitting may be loose.
- Malfunctioning burner – A rusted burner can cause your furnace to run more than necessary.
- Debris blocking the blower – The heated air can’t get out if it’s locked.
Maintaining Your Furnace
When a furnace runs for long periods without routine maintenance, wear and tear increases, which increases the potential of an emergency repair. Here are a few things you need to do:
- Change or clean the filter – Check the filter at least once a month. If the filter is dirty, change it or clean it to maintain clean, free air flow.
- Vacuum air registers – Dust can block the air flow. A quick vacuum
- Keep stuff away from the furnace – Stacking boxes and other items around the furnace can allow dust and minute particulates to get inside the furnace, which can cause problems.
- Call for routine maintenance every year – Ideally, you should have maintenance performed before you turn it on in the fall. But, maintenance any time of year is critical.
Routine maintenance will help keep your furnace running smoothly most of the time.
When You Should Call a Professional
There are times when you need to bring in the professional for repairs.
- Plenty of fuel, no heat coming out
- Your heating bills skyrocketed for no apparent reason
- Weird noises coming out of the heater
- Furnace is turning on and off frequently
- Your pilot light is not pure blue
Don’t let your furnace break down. If you need help with furnace maintenance or repair, call or schedule an appointment online today! We’ll get our bright pink truck out to you right away.